Friday, February 13, 2015

The Imitation Game Review

*** SPOILERS AHEAD***


    I finally went and saw this movie this week. It's the only one in the Oscar race that I actually was interested in seeing. Yes, I admit, I really wanted to see it because of Benedict Cumberbatch and Keira Knightley. They are two of my favorite actors so I was immediately drawn to the movie. After having seen it, I am so glad that I did. The movie was heroic and tragic at the same time. The things that these people did for our country was extraordinary and no one even knew about it at the time. 

    The character of Alan Turing reminds me a lot of Sherlock. He is usually the smartest person in the room, he has a hard time socializing and he doesn't express emotion very well. He gets better during the movie but it takes about half of it for him to begin to be friends with his team. He knows that his idea of the machine is the best/only way to crack the Enigma code. Of course, he turns out to be right but not with out some trouble along the way. 

     The movie goes through 3 different time periods throughout, which at times got a tad bit confusing. There is the present time period, in which Alan Turing is called in for questioning about his sexual orientation, the past in terms of his work with the military and the Enigma code and then the even further past which is his time in boarding school. The boarding school time period is where you see why/how he became they way he was in the Enigma work period. It is a wonderful insight into his personality and why he has a hard time getting close to people. It also begins to explain why he is so obsessed with his code-breaking machine, Christopher. 


     Alan Turing is really quite an inspiring character. He is extremely determined to make sure that his machine works. He was willing to do anything necessary to keep his project and his team afloat. It is unfortunate that he had to keep his sexuality a secret. After all of his work with Enigma was complete, he was found out and arrested. He could either sit in jail for 2 years or take a 2 year regimen of a hormone treatment. He chose the hormones and a year later he committed suicide. I have read though, that death could have been ruled as cyanide poisoning but whether or not it was self administered is another question.

    I absolutely loved this movie! There wasn't much that I could find fault in it, the acting was outstanding and the plot was well thought out. I really am glad that it is up for so many Oscars. I don't think that Benedict Cumberbatch will win though, he hasn't been around long enough for the Academy to give him the award. I could be wrong but I've seen that trend in recent years. Everyone involved with this movie is well deserving of their nominations. 

    This movie is still in theaters so  please go check it out before it's gone. It is truly and inspirational story and hopefully such major press will make people want to learn about Alan Turing. He is a man that should be celebrated due to his accomplishments. 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment