Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Even Beer Can Be Nerdy

Before the creation of this epic blog I considered writing s blog centered around beer and/or booze.  It is something I am interested in seeing as I am now a beer snob.  Now I have found a way to merge both my nerdy side and the beer enthusiast.
You see, beer can also be nerdy.  Not only does it take precise combinations of ingredients and chemistry to get the recipes right, but these days brewers are ridiculously creative and show their nerdy side as well.  There are countless beers related to pop and nerd culture.  Here is a list of some of those I like or I think just sound interesting or good.

Take The Black Stout-Brewery Ommegang
Belgian Dark Ale 7.00% ABV
Ommegang actually has four beers based on Game of Thrones.  In additon to Take the Black there is the first brew in the series Iron Throne, Fire and Blood a red ale, and the newest in the series Valar Morghules. I have included Take the Black Stout because it is the one I have actually tried recently and being a stout fan it was pretty good.  In fact, at that particular beer tasting I went up to the booth several times.  I am interested to try the other three if I can find them somewhere around here.  Being a fan if both Game if Thrones and beer I will probably like at least a few more of the series.

Image result for imperial stout trooperImperial Stout Trooper-New England Brewing Company
Russian Imperial Stout 8.50% ABV
Here is one for any Star Wars fans out there.  "Brewed in brewery not too far away, and not too long ago.." according to the description by brewer New England Brewing Co. this brew is dark stout is a mix of seven different malts and hops.  It has an average rating of 4.1 on Beer Advocate so it is probably pretty good and is officially in my must try list.  The bottle is pretty sweet looking and features a storm trooper.  There is also a special edition Imperial Stout Trooper featuring a different bottle.


Walker-Dock Street Brewing Company
American Stout 7.20% ABV
I will be honest, this is not a beer a particularly want to try.  Why is it on the list?  Because it is based on and was made specially for the season finale of the Walking Dead.  It is also an interesting concept, just not one I want to try.  You see, Walker is brewed using goats brains.   They are smoked brains giving the beer a smoky flavor.  In addition, it features cranberries.  An interesting combination.  The ratings for this one are not outstanding with an average rating of 3.44.  I have a feeling that this is a try for the novelty and never drink again thing though.

Zombie Dust-Three Floyds Brewing Co.
American Pale Ale  6.40% ABV
The first on the list that is not a stout! I am not sure if Three Floyds jumped on the zombie bandwagon when creating this beer.  However, it includes the word zombie and its the reason some people wanted to try the beer.  Therefore it has made its way onto my list.  That and because it is delicious!  Unlike our previous zombie beer, this one sounds, and is drinkable.  No brains here.  Just yummy hoppiness and citrus flavors.   It has an average rating of 4.62 so other drinkers think it is good too.  Zombie Dust also features in my opinion a great label. I like the artwork on it.  It is however hard to find, at least around here.  I have yet to find it anywhere but The Bavarian Lodge a few towns over.  It seems to be in high demand along with other Three Floyds brews.  I would recommend it though if you like beer and see it around.


8 Bit Pale Ale-Tallgrass Brewing Company
American Pale Ale 5.20 ABV
This one isn't necessarily centered around pop culture.  It will however make the video game nerds happy. In fact it has been named the official beer of retro gamers. This beer is a hoppy pale ale.  It has a fairly good rating of 3.79.  People who have had it say it is full of hops yet is drinkable and features some citrus notes. Overall I think this is a beer I would like to try.  The can is reminiscent of old school video games.  It even appears to feature a pac-man(ish) figure on the front.

No comments:

Post a Comment