Monday, September 22, 2014

Gotham Premiere Review

This evening was the premiere of the new show Gotham.  This was one of the few shows I was actually interested to see this year.  I am not sure if I will continue watching every week though.
I am not saying it was bad, not at all.  I just feel like it was way over-hyped.  It was just the pilot episode and there is room for the show to grow.  I will give it a few weeks to build up some momentum before deciding whether I keep tuning in or not.

I enjoyed watching Ben McKenzie as young Jim Gordan and Donal Logue as Harvey Bullock.  I think they both did well and have room to grow the characters.  I also liked how some of the villains were portrayed like Oswald Cobblepot who will one day be the Penguin.  My favorite though was Ed Nigma who seems to like to tell riddles (hint, hint)   It will be interesting to see how that character changes and grows over the series.
I did not however like Jada Pinkett Smith as Fish Mooney.  I am not a big Jada fan to begin with so that could play a part in my dislike for the character.  We shall see what this new character to the Batman universe brings in the future.
I am also disappointed we did not see very much of Selina Kyle in the pilot.  I know she will appear later within the series, especially since next weeks episode is called Selina Kyle.
Like I said earlier, this was the pilot episode.  It did what it was supposed to do and introduced us the characters.  It was overall well done but needs to have more excitement in the future.  I am hoping it will build and grow into a great show.  Hopefully Fox will give it time to do this and not cancel it like they have done with many other great shows (cough FireFly cough Dollhouse).

No comments:

Post a Comment