Saturday, September 13, 2014

Why I'm Obsessed with Sherlock

   I was pretty late in joining the Sherlock fandom. They were still in the middle of the hiatus between seasons 2 and 3 when I first watched the show. Half way through the first episode, I was hooked. It has quickly become my favorite show. I had never felt so many strong emotions over a show before. There are plenty of other TV shows that have made me cry but Sherlock is so much different than that. Let me explain why I love this show so much.


Characters:

     My favorite character is actually, not Sherlock. I know, shocking right? My favorite character is Moriarty. Which really isn't that surprising if you know me since I always love the villains. Moriarty has to be the most insane villain out there. Andrew Scott just plays him so well, he really knows how to turn on the crazy. There is just something about this character that is so evil but at the same time you wonder what could have happened to him for him to turn out this way. If there was a whole origin episode on Moriarty, I would be thrilled!



      Of course, I love Sherlock just as much as the next fan and Benedict Cumberbatch is absolutely perfect. He just brings a whole new life to the role.  I think his facial expressions really bring out the sarcasm and sass of Sherlock. You can tell that he is just so much more intelligent than everyone else and his face shows it. Sherlock has changed so much over these last 3 seasons, especially in the third. He begins to become more human and shows more emotion. He really is a fascinating thing to watch.
       Hate her or love her, Mary Watson is an important part to the story. I really do not see why everyone hates her so much. Her story was written long before this show and the relationship between her and John and Sherlock wasn't a problem then. I think the fans of the show have just gotten super possessive over the relationship that they think Sherlock and John should have. Mary is just as mysterious as Moriarty or Irene Adler because we don't know anything about her yet. She has a dark and dangerous past and I really hope the show goes deeper into her story.
       I could probably make a whole post of every character in this show, but that would be a really long one. These three are my top though so that's a good start!

Story:
      Of course no one can talk about this show without mentioning the writing. Now as much as we hate the writers sometimes ie: deaths and hiatus, their writing is brilliant. The way that they adapt the original stories into this modern-day version works seamlessly. The story is always interesting and always maintains your complete focus. I am one of those people that has to be doing something while watching TV and with Sherlock I don't. My undivided attention is focused on this show.

Of course, these are just some of the reasons why I am obsessed with this show. I can not wait until season 4. Until then, hello hiatus....



No comments:

Post a Comment