Tuesday, August 12, 2014

A Tribute to Robin Williams

    I was heart broken to hear that Robin Williams died yesterday. He was an insanely funny man and will be missed.His movies were a huge part of my childhood and they are still just as important today.

    Hook has always been my favorite Peter Pan movie. I love it even more than the original Disney cartoon. That story has been done so many times that it starts to get old after awhile. Hook was such a different take on the story. It showed how Peter Pan became who he was and how he turned back into Peter Pan after becoming an adult. It was truly an amazing film.

     Jumanji was absolutely one of my favorites. I've watched that movie so many times throughout the years. When I was younger it kind of freaked me out, the scary drumming in the beginning for sure. I think my Mom bought us the game from a garage sale. I don't remember playing it though because we were kind of scared that it could be real! Robin Williams had a wonderful part in this movie. He was really funny but emotional and heartfelt at the same time. 


    I think Robin Williams is one of the few people that can improv and entire movie and make it fabulous. That reigns true in Aladdin when he played the Genie. Truly one of his most iconic roles. I have read that he did improv almost the entire thing. The fact that someone at Disney realized his talent and let him do that was amazing! His character was the most memorable in that movie. He truly was a Disney Legend. 


     Probably one of his lesser known movies was Fern Gully where he played the eccentric, Batty. This was a movie where I re-watched it over and over again. I bought it on DVD as an adult and I still love it just as much. Robin Williams voiced Batty, the bat that was experimented on by humans and managed to escape. He was so eccentric and wacky and you could kind of tell that it was improvised. Especially the rap in the middle of the movie. He was the funniest part of that movie for sure.  


Robin Williams did so many movies and TV shows and everything in between. To talk about all of them would just take forever. Even what I did talk about is not even close to all of my favorite works of his. He will truly be missed from our TVs, movie theaters and our lives. Depression is a very real thing and this further shows that anyone can suffer from it. Having dealt with depression myself, I know how hard it is to ask for help. If you or someone you know is depressed please seek help. It is nothing to be ashamed of, unfortunately so many people suffer with it today. Please go to the link below if you need help. Never be ashamed to ask for help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment